Historically, FCTHP featured five historic properties considered the "best opportunities for historic preservation" in Frankfort and Franklin County to bring attention to these properties, possibly to save them from demolition, and to educate the public about the benefits of historic preservation. In 2021, the Trust decided to begin to issue the Franklin Five list annually to bring attention to more properties as they become available or face adverse circumstances.
The properties on the 2021 Franklin Five are 1) First Corinthian Missionary Baptist Church Parsonage, Second Street, ca. 1894; 2) Broadway Street Pedestrian Bridge, Broadway Street, ca. 1893; 3) The Community of Bridgeport, Kentucky, est. 1781; 4) Starway Drive-In, 3350 Louisville Rd., ca. 1946; and 5) Nitro Building, 220 W Main Street, ca. 1871.
FCTHP gives awards to property owners who successfully renovate their historic Frankfort or Franklin County property, maintaining the property's historic integrity while providing new purpose and life to the structure. Past awards have been for preservation work on Weehawken, T-Boat Marine - Frankfort Motel (Goodwood Brewery), the Macklin House, Bluegrass Realty office, the Clayton-Fincel house (old Montessori School), the John R. Sower home (Corner of Celebrities), the Hoggy's Ice Cream building, Old Taylor Distillery (Castle & Key Distillery), and various other properties in Frankfort and Franklin County.
The historic Broadway Bridge was constructed in 1893 as a replacement railroad bridge across the Kentucky River to connect Frankfort and Lexington to Louisville. Originally built in the 1850s, this is the 4th bridge to cross at this point.
The recently adopted Downtown Frankfort Master Plan established the bridge as an important river crossing connection for the development of our city and a key component to the redevelopment of the Capital Plaza area. However recent investigations into the structural stability of the bridge have prompted the state to pursue demolition, after an offer to the City of Frankfort to take ownership failed to gain favor by a majority of the City Commission.
Many local citizens have been working to find an alternative plan and we now have an opportunity to preserve the bridge as a river crossing for pedestrians, cyclists, events and more. There is a way forward to preserve the bridge as an attractive component of our community, but we need to build support for the project. Please join us in this effort!
The Blanton-Crutcher Farm is a property in the Millville community listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The property's registry listing cited significant historic features of the Blanton-Crutcher House, built in 1796, along with several farm structures and its agricultural landscape. In 2019, the Blanton-Crutcher house was demolished allegedly without going through the proper channels and obtaining the necessary permit to do so. Subsequently, the farm was in danger of being rezoned "industrial" from its current status, "agricultural," by the Franklin County Fiscal Court at the request of the new owner. Due to the outcry of residents of the area and several organizations, including FCTHP, the rezoning application was denied, ending a lengthy and heated community debate and highlighting the importance of processes and protections in the county related to historic preservation.
Built ca. 1925, this corner grocery building, which became a central gathering place for many decades to Frankfort's Black community, replaced an earlier house on the location. Mrs. Julia Sayre purchased this building in 1939 and owned it until 1957 when she bequeathed the building to Armor Blackburn where he operated Blackburn’s Grocery.
Mr. Andrew Lee "Biddie" Mason, Sr. bought the property in 1976 and operated a corner grocery that most folks from the area remember today. In 2015, the Franklin County Trust for Historic Preservation purchased the property from Mr. Mason and undertook a multi-year stabilization effort after the building faced demolition by the City of Frankfort.
To secure the building's future, the Trust invested in many improvements to the building, preparing it for a new use: new asphalt shingle roof; restored original front door, galvanized steel half-round gutters and downspouts, fully rehabbed double hung original windows; new exterior wood doors, a fully rehabbed original front entry, masonry repointing, rebuilt first floor substructure, new stud on the second floor, and much more.
In July of 2020, the Trust was ecstatic to sell the rehabilitated property to the Franklin County Women and Family Shelter.