Established November 27, 1974, the Trust is a non-profit 501(c)(3) charitable membership-based organization, chartered by the state of Kentucky and managed by a volunteer board of directors.
Our founding members were William O. Hubbard, Maj. Gen. Zack C. Saufley, Martha Moore, Rebecca Pruett, and Kenneth Goin.
With 49 years of service to Franklin County, the Franklin County Trust for Historic Preservation began it's mission with the preservation of the Glen Willis House on Wilkinson Blvd. in 1975.
Over the years, the Trust has successfully advocated for and preserved historic places like the Glen Willis House (ca. 1815) and The Sullivan Log House (ca. 1810), and contributed to projects including, the War Mothers Memorial Bridge, the Old State Capitol Fountain, and the Green Hill Cemetery: African American Civil War Soldiers Military Monument, and more.
Continuing a tradition service, we host an annual membership meeting, publish newsletters, provide educational programming, award preservation grants, unveil a historic landmark plaque program, promote the best historic properties for saving and revitalization, and advocate for preservation of our county's historic places.
Our Award Program highlights exemplary Historic Preservation efforts in Frankfort and Franklin County. Named in honor of our founder, Ms. Martha T. Moore, the award recipients are announced annually at a ceremony of members. View past award winners here: Award Winners
For years the Franklin County Trust for Historic Preservation awarded grant funds for projects which preserve our communities cultural and architectural assets. From the restoration of the Old Capital Fountain to independent assessment of the Broadway Bridge, the Franklin County Trust works to ensure the cultural heritage of Frankfort and Franklin County.
Every five years, the Franklin County Historic Trust has announced five locations in the county it considers the best opportunities for preservation.
These places often offer owners an opportunity to preserve important historic resources in Franklin County while also preserving the places that help create our community identity.
In 2015 our Board of Directors selected a new logo for our organization. The anthemion symbol is a common motif in Greek Revival style architecture and it holds a place of prominence in structures throughout Frankfort and Franklin County including in the Old State Capitol Building at the center of the City. Read more about why we chose this logo and its meaning: Our Anthemion Logo.
President - Kevin Breeck
Vice President- Eric Whisman
Treasurer - Tom Midkiff